Wednesday, December 30, 2009

This blog has standards!

This is a blog with beliefs. With principles.
This is not a deadbeat, slacker, blog of the void.

We will attempt to work through them.
There are foundations.

By constraints of time and media we can not get at the whole thing, but we can get at the foundations.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.... to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion.

and

The Morning, which is the most memorable season of that day, is the waking hour. Then there is least somnolence in us; and for an hour, at least, some part of us awakes which slumbers all the rest of the day and night....To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning....Morning is when I am awake and there is a dawn in me. Moral reform is the effort to throw off sleep....There are millions awake enough for physical labor; but only one in a hundred million to a poetic or divine life. To be awake is to be alive. I have never met a man who was quite awake. How could I have looked him in the face?

No comments:

Post a Comment